Wednesday 5 March 2008

Quantifying love

How does one quantify love?

KING LEAR 
    Which of you shall we say doth love us most? 
    That we our largest bounty may extend 
    Where nature doth with merit challenge. Goneril, 
    Our eldest-born, speak first. 

GONERIL 
    Sir, I love you more than words can wield the matter; 
    Dearer than eye-sight, space, and liberty; 
    Beyond what can be valued, rich or rare; 
    No less than life, with grace, health, beauty, honour; 
    As much as child e'er loved, or father found; 
    A love that makes breath poor, and speech unable; 
    Beyond all manner of so much I love you. 

CORDELIA 
    [Aside] What shall Cordelia do? 
    Love, and be silent. 

yet the irony is that Goneril takes away Lear's "life, grace, health, beauty, honour"

LEAR 
    Of all these bounds, even from this line to this, 
    With shadowy forests and with champains rich'd, 
    With plenteous rivers and wide-skirted meads, 
    We make thee lady: to thine and Albany's issue 
    Be this perpetual. What says our second daughter, 
    Our dearest Regan, wife to Cornwall? Speak. 

REGAN 
    Sir, I am made 
    Of the self-same metal that my sister is, 
    And prize me at her worth. In my true heart 
    I find she names my very deed of love; 
    Only she comes too short: that I profess 
    Myself an enemy to all other joys, 
    Which the most precious square of sense possesses; 
    And find I am alone felicitate
    In your dear highness' love. 

CORDELIA 
    [Aside] Then poor Cordelia! 
    And yet not so; since, I am sure, my love's 
    More richer than my tongue. 

1. derive joy from

yet perhaps, a allusion to Philipians 3:8
Philippians 3:8  Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ 
-
derive no other joy from anything else
-
yet even that isnt really love yet

KING LEAR 
    To thee and thine hereditary ever 
    Remain this ample third of our fair kingdom; 
    No less in space, validity, and pleasure, 
    Than that conferr'd on Goneril. Now, our joy, 
    Although the last, not least; to whose young love 
    The vines of France and milk of Burgundy 
    Strive to be interess'd; what can you say to draw 
    A third more opulent than your sisters? Speak. 

CORDELIA 
    Nothing, my lord.

perhaps, love, cannot be expressed in words...
-
love is in the silences
-
and love need not be returned, as one sees from Cordelia still loving after she was disowned
-

Ahh EA1
-
so much for that...
-
"love God wholeheartedly"

No comments:

Post a Comment