Sunday 28 April 2013

Moralistic Anxiety

For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out.For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.

(Romans 7:18-20)


Church sometimes makes it feels like we're all perfect and happy, when the truth is, we'll all empty and weak. We think we're better than people out there, but the truth is:

"None is righteous, no, not one;

no one understands; no one seeks for God.

All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one."

(Romans 3:11-12)


Christianity is not a bed of roses. It's not about the highs, about us being a happy holy huddle, but a struggle, a race towards the destination of faith. Along the way we fall down, we get ensnared by the world, we sin.

Christianity is about real lives, not about a social script where we say holy things to each other, say certain things and learn how to conform to church language. Real life can hurt sometimes, and its a lie that God will only let good things happen to us just because we're Christians.

God has every right to withdraw physical healing from us, or give us suffering and trials that are beyond our understanding. I cringe every time I hear stuff like "Jesus, we know that You will do this, We claim this promise etc...".

What right do we have to demand that God does our bidding? God does not promise a life free of suffering, sickness and pain. God however promises that He'll be with us:

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

(Psalms 23:4)

And that is what really matters…

No comments:

Post a Comment